Thursday, January 28, 2016

Uh-oh 14 days, some of chapter 7

I broke my own deal. I was doing relatively well and was writing blogs on a close to weekly basis. Then I decided to go slower on each of the chapters. This means that if I am going to write every week I may or may not have a full chapter done. The past two weeks have been, interesting. I haven't been able to find much time while at home to go through the C# book (either that or after Nora goes to bed I haven't wanted to take the time to read. Bad I know. I need to spend more time on the book if I am really to become a full developer. I will be honest (don't worry my boss knows this), I do not want to be installing our product at client sites forever. In order to stop doing that I need to spend more time learning to code.

Anyway, I have said that before and I guess writing it down (again) reminds me (again) that I need to just do it more. That may mean late nights or staying late at work (staying late is hard because when I stay too late I don't get to see my daughter). I know I disappoint the 20 readers when I don't post something. I need to make a list of subjects that are separate from the book to have a continuous flow of subjects.

Onto the meat of the blog, I have started chapter 7 in the book. I have seen at work we will have a class that says ThisClass : IInterface. I had no idea what the ": IInterface" was doing and had heard some people talking about interfaces. Up until now I had no idea what they were talking about (shame on me for not asking more questions when I saw them in the code). An interface tells a class that it must implement certain methods and properties. The interface does not tell the class how to implement these methods and properties, just that it has contain these in some form. Okay, not in some form, the methods and properties in the interface must be implemented with the same names and return types.

I learned a little about downcasting and upcasting to make it so you can have an array of objects that aren't 100% the same, but implement the same interface. Seems like that can be really useful and I am sure the exercise for the chapter will let me get a try at this.

More on Chapter 7 on a later blog.

On a side note, we are starting to use Microsoft Azure at work. So far it seems like it will be a powerful tool. Our team has created templates and we are finding out how powerful Azure actually is. When I say our team, I mean a few of the guys are doing that and I am getting more an more behind. They have posted some articles on Azure on our internal site, I need to get reading those.

Chapter 7, here I come!


No comments: